Smoke-salted Rainbow Trout with Wasabi Cream Cheese
(Recipe serves 6)
4 rainbow trout fillets, with the skin on
500 g Smoked salt (if smoked salt is not available use any kosher or coarse grain sea-salt)
2 tbs. Light soya sauce
1 tbsp. Chinese white rice vinegar
3/4 tsp. 100% sesame oil
1 tsp. oil (preferably peanut but canola or vegetable will do the trick)
2 Cloves of garlic, finely minced
1/4 tsp. Ginger, finely minced
1 tsp. Brown sugar or demerara sugar
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds + 1/2 tsp.
2 spring onions, the white parts discarded and the greens finely chopped on the bias
The juice of one lime plus one whole lime
Wasabi Cream Cheese
250 g Cream cheese
2 tsp. Powdered wasabi
2 tbsp. Spring onions, the white parts discarded and the greens finely chopped on the bias
The juice of half a lime plus a second generous squeeze
Salt to taste
A selection of Asian crackers
- Wash the trout fillets but do not dry them.
- Cover each fillet generously, on both sides, with the smoked or coarse salt and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place the wrapped fillets in a bowl, refrigerate and allow to cure overnight for no more than 12 hours. In the meantime, prepare the marinade reserving the 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds, the spring onion and the whole lime for serving. The wasabi cream cheese should be prepared at this point as well. Combine all the ingredients well with a whisk (the cream cheese should be at room temperature) and refrigerate.
- Once the fillets have cured (they should be lightly dehydrated and quite a bit of liquid will have accumulated in the bowl). Wash them thoroughly and soak them in cold water for one hour, changing water twice.
- Pat the fillets dry and marinate them for one hour at room temperature, turning them twice to ensure an even coating. Meanwhile, place the stainless steel tray from the bamboo tray set on your grill and preheat it to 300º C (575º F).
- Once the barbecue is at temperature, starting flesh side down, sear the fillets for 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on their thickness.
- The salting will have altered the nature of the skin and it will peel it off effortlessly without the use of a fillet knife. Using your hands, break the fillets into bite-sized pieces, squeeze on the reserved lime and sprinkle with the extra toasted sesame seeds and green onion.
- Serve the trout with the Wasabi cream cheese and a selection of Asian crackers.
Note: Trout has a row of bones through the thick part of the fillet. When breaking the fillets apart, be sure to remove them. This dish can also be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated without altering the integrity of the fish.