Grilled Porterhouse Steaks with BBQXL’s Melbourne Steak Spice
4 x 500 gr. Bone-in if available Porterhouse steaks (Also known as Sirloin and New York steak)
Equal parts of the following, depending on how much steak spice you’d like to make (see method below):
Dehydrated onion flakes
Black pepper corns
Yellow mustard seeds
Ground mountain pepper
Fresh garlic, finely minced or passed through a press
Maldon salt or coarse sea salt
16 White/button mushrooms trimmed
2 Brown onions
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
- Preheat your barbecue to 300º C (575º F) with a grill on one side and a hotplate on the other.
- Roast all the spices and salt together in a pan until the garlic turns golden. Allow to cool and process in a blender until a coarse mix is obtained.
- Pat the steaks dry and sprinkle on the steak spice quite liberally.
- Cut the onions into 1 cm (roughly 1/2″) rings and brush with extra virgin olive oil.
- Thead 4 mushrooms onto each skewer, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with flat leaf parsley and salt.
- Grill the steaks, flipping as little as possible, to your desired doneness and indicate each one with their rareness skewers. Allow to rest.
- Cook the onion rings and mushroom skewers on the hotplate.
- When done, serve immediately with the steaks and cold frothy beer.
Posted on January 15th, 2014 by Matthew C. exclusively for BBQXL