100% Beef Burger Cheddar Melt with Bacon, Mushrooms and Caramelised Onions
(Recipe serves 4)
1 kg Medium-lean ground beef
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
4 of your favourite hamburger buns, grilled
(You want to go easy on seasoning the meat for this burger as the toppings are very flavourful)
2 Brown/Yellow onions
12 Button/white mushrooms, sliced
8 bacon rashers, fried
Butter for frying
Freshly cracked black pepper
The Cheese Sauce
500 ml Store bought or homemade béchamel sauce
250 gr Grated cheddar cheese, preferably yellow or any cheese of your choice that melts well
- Preheat your barbecue to 300º C (575º F).
- Combine the ingredients for the patties and refrigerate until the BBQ comes to temperature.
- Meanwhile fry the mushrooms in butter and freshly cracked black pepper until golden. Caramelise the onions in butter over low heat until sweet and golden brown (do not allow to burn). Fry the bacon and set aside.
- Form 8 equal sized patties and grill on each side for about 4 minutes or until desired doneness is obtained.
- Remove the meat from the grill, cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the béchamel to a simmer and add in the cheese.
- Layer one patty on the bun and top with bacon and mushrooms. Place the second patty on top and top with the caramelised onions and cheese sauce.
Tip: If you would like to serve anything with these burgers, may I suggest a simple green salad for its refreshing qualities!
Posted on January 28th, 2014 by Matthew C. exclusively for BBQXL