Bulgogi – 불고기
1 kg Flank or sirloin steak
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup onion
10 cloves of garlic
2 tsp ginger
2 chopped green onions
2 tbs brown sugar (or 2 tbsp rice syrup)
A pinch of ground black pepper
1 small carrot finely sliced
- Place the soya sauce, sesame oil, onion, garlic, ginger, pear, pepper and sugar/syrup in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Slice the beef very thinly, about 2mm. A good tip for doing this is to partially freeze the meat before trying to slice it. Place in a bowl.
- Slice the carrot into matchsticks using a mandolin if you have one. Slice one green onion into small pieces diagonally.
- Add the carrot and green onion to the beef and pour over the entire contents of the mariade over top.
- Grill over high heat using a grilling wok. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onion when ready to serve.
- Serve with fresh lettuce leaves and “Ssamjang” or served with white steamed rice.