250g Roughly chopped unsalted butter
250g Roughly chopped dark chocolate for baking
5 Lightly beaten eggs
2 cups Brown/raw or demerara sugar
1 cup Desiccated coconut
1 cup Slivered almonds
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
1 1/2 cup White flour, sifted
1/2 cup Pure cocoa, sifted
Icing sugar, cocoa, coconut slivers, shaved chocolate, ice-cream or whipped cream, to serve
BBQXL Baking Dish 45 cm X 29 cm
- Preheat your barbie to 170C. Line a 45 x 29cm baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in double boiler (ensure that the top pot of the double boiler does not touch the water in the lower section).
- Stir occasionally until the chocolate and butter have combined into a smooth blend.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat lightly.
- Add in the sugar, coconut, almonds and vanilla. Mix well.
- Blend the flour and cocoa in a separate bowl.
- Fold the melted chocolate/butter into the egg mixture until combined and then fold through the flour/cocoa mixture. Don’t over-mix! Stop when the mixture looks homogenous and there are no pockets/bubbles of the flour and cocoa mix.
- Pour everything into the baking pan that was previously lined with parchment.
- Bake on the grill using indirect heat for 30-35 minutes or until just firm. Do not open the hood of the barbecue until the first 30 minutes have elapsed.
- Test doneness by inserting a toothpick into the brownie. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Check out the blog entry for more tips!