For the prawns:
Ingredients for 6 servings:
18 large prawns, shelled with the tail left on and deveined
Asparagus, depending on the size, 1, 2 or 3 spears per prawn (the image shows three young asparagus tips)
9 bacon rashers, halved crosswise
Salt to taste
12 15 cm BBQXL bamboo skewers, soaked
- Couple 1 prawn with the asparagus. Only use as many spears as the half rasher of bacon will allow.
- Wrap the prawn and asparagus tightly with the half bacon rasher.
- Thread onto two bamboo skewers, this will stop the prawn from curling while it’s cooking and the bacon from unraveling.
- Grill over medium-high heat until the bacon is slightly charred. At this point, the shrimp is cooked and the asparagus is still al dente.
For the calamari:
Ingredients for 4 stuffed calamari:
4 Calamari/squid, cleaned with the sheath and tentacles reserved. Refer to the blog HERE for the cleaning instructions.
12 Bacon rashers, very finely chopped
1 Leek, finely chopped
1/2 cup Green peas
1/2 cup Panko (bread crumbs)
1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, packed
1 large Clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp Sea salt
4 15 cm BBQXL bamboo skewers, soaked
- Begin by frying the bacon and leek together until cooked (about 7 minutes over medium heat), do not add oil. Allow to cool.
- Mix one egg, the panko and the peas into the bacon and leek mixture.
- Stuff the mixture into the calamari sheaths leaving a 1 cm space at the opening.
- Pierce one side of the opening with a skewer, proceed through the tentacles and pierce back through the opposite side of the sheath closing the stuffing in (refer to the image).
- Mix the olive oil, parsley, garlic and salt together.
- Grill the calamari over medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes per side while basting with the oil mixture. Don’t allow the skewers to burn through.